Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 71000675
Historic Name FORT SUPPLY HISTORICAL DISTRICT
Description of Significance FORT SUPPLY WAS ESTABLISHED IN NOVEMBER 1868, BY GENERAL ALFRED SULLY COMANDING FIVE COMPANIES OF THE THIRD INFANTRY. FOR NEARLY A QUARTER OF A CENTURY IT PLAYED A VITAL ROLE IN THE WAR ON PLAINS INDIANS AND GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE WEST.IT WAS ABANDONED IN 1893.LISTED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER 6/21/71
Current Name FORT SUPPLY
Address
City FORT SUPPLY
County WOODWARD
Lot
Block
Current Section 9
Township 4N
Range 2W
Type DISTRICT
Historic Function MILITARY FACILITY
Current Function SANITORUIM
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2 HISTORIC ABORIGINAL
Date Prepared 1970
Year Built 1868
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder US ARMY
Architectural Style
Roof Material WOOD
Wall Material WOOD
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details TIMBER BUILDINGS WITH BRICK GUARDHOUSE, OAK FLOORS IN OFFICERS QUARTERS
Condition GOOD
Comments ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT FORTS BUILT IN PRESENT-DAY OKLAHOMA
Restricted N